Location: Madison, WI
Interior Design: DEMCO Interiors
Client: Hawthorne Elementary School
Enrollment: 424 students
Completion Date: Spring 2013
The renewed Hawthorne Elementary School Library has quickly become a treasured resource for the school — and it’s community.
The library now features generous space and an abundance of natural light. Space flow has been enhanced and zoned to accommodate pre-k to 5th grade students.
Some of the improvements include:
- Moving computers to a tidier, more visible space
- Replacing traditional wood tables with mobile tables and ergonomic seating
- New shelving in the youth space that feature face-out display and browsing options
- Integrated seating within shelving that gives students a “landing pad” for enjoying books
- Casual seating that encourages hanging out and reading
- Popular gaming tables
- A collaborative technology table for small group learning
Both staff and students have commented on the openness of the space and color throughout. There is a renewed excitement and energy present upon entering the library. The success of this project is rooted in collaboration between Hawthorne staff and the Demco design team.